Ever had to repeat yourself when giving directions to a cab? Or repeat your name when ordering a coffee at a Starbucks? This class will help you sound more American by teaching you how to properly pronounce American English.
- Pronunciation drills
- Vocal training
- Practice situations and phrases
- Interesting speaking games and activities
ADVANCED SOCIALIZING IN ENGLISH
Continue building on the skills learned in socializing. This course will allow you to really flex your conversational muscle and have deeper and more meaningful conversations with Americans and ESL speakers alike.
- Comfortable and easygoing learning environment
- Community style advanced discussions about relevant current events
- Get more personal with conversations and express yourself properly
What makes a person an American? Who founded the country and shaped its people’s attitudes and culture? What are the similarities and differences between American culture and your own? If you’ve asked yourself these questions and others, American Culture is right for you. This course takes you through the history of the United States of America and gives you an accurate look at not only what American Culture is, but why.
- Comprehensive University level study and note taking skills developed
- Advanced audio and visually enhanced instruction
- Lecture style learning environment
- World events discussed with a focus on different cultural reactions
CONNECTING IN ENGLISH
"Excuse me, I am new here. Where is the A train?" Build confidence in this beginning conversation course in an easygoing comfortable learning environment.
- Develop basic conversation confidence
- Gain survival English skills
- Learn new social cues and American customs
ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE
Master English grammar and syntax in this accelerated course designed to help you successfully negotiate professional and socio-cultural interactions in an English language environment. Build a strong foundation for your speaking skills and learn to speak with proper English grammar. This course aims to equip students with grammatical tools to communicate wishes, ideas, opinions, and feelings with precision and accuracy.
- Group activities for developing confidence
- Interactive classroom worksheets
- Focused teacher interaction and coaching
- Improved confidence in personal communication
INTRODUCTION TO WRITING
Writing is an important part of learning English as a second language. This class is a perfect introduction to the basics. Beginner writing skills such as brainstorming, main ideas, and paragraph construction are learned. These skills will be the building blocks to your future in learning and using the English language.
- Practice basic writing skills
- Build the foundation of future English writing skills
PUBLIC SPEAKING FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Speaking in front of an audience can seem like a difficult and scary task. This course aims to develop spoken communication skills needed for post-secondary education, vocational work, and/or American life. Gain the advantage over your audience with proper training and technique.
- Train to be more comfortable with formal and informal dialog
- Improvisation and drama communication games
- Learn from the masters with audio and visual speeches given by the best
- Write speeches and deliver them to an audience
SOCIALIZING IN ENGLISH
You know the formal grammar, you know the sentence structure, and you know the writing. Now learn conversational English and build your skills for casual conversations with Americans and ESL speakers alike.
- Easygoing and comfortable learning environment
- Community style discussions about relevant current events
- Story telling
- How to be polite with people
*All courses may not be offered all semesters depending on enrollment. For a complete list of courses currently in session, please contact the school directly. (1-212-268-6262)